1. The name Michigan is derived from the Indian words “Michi-gama” meaning large lake.
2. The State Nickname is the “Great Lake State.” Others include “Wolverine State” or “Water Winter Wonderland.”
3. The State motto is “Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice.”
(If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you.)
4. Michigan was admitted to the Union in 1837, the 26th state.
5. Michigan is the only state that touches four of the five Great Lakes.
6. 40 of Michigan’s 83 counties touch at least one of the Great Lakes.
7. Michigan has more than 11,000 inland lakes and more than 36,000 miles of streams.
8. You are never more than six miles from one of them.
9. Anywhere in Michigan, you are within 85 miles of one of the Great Lakes.
10. The largest city is Detroit.